30 August 2008

The Unveiling: nijadesign.com!

You heard right: nijadesign.com is up and running--give her a look and let me know what you think!

And well, how are all of you on this gorgeous Saturday morning? Craig and I are shuffling along in this strange old town, and we thought this week, we might share our adventure on the

Spit Bridge to Manly Walk!!
















That's right: we finally went to North Sydney! Craig and I live in South Sydney, and it's a well-known fact that Southsyders don't go to the North, and vice versa. North Sydney has a rep for being rich and yuppie; South Syd has a rep for being knifey. The real reason is probably the giant body of water between North and South making visiting difficult, but that might also be argument for North and South Sydney to be entirely separate cities. Regardless of all possibly nonexistent secession debate, we decided to go with a group from UNSW on this walk from Spit Bridge to Manly Beach. Manly is a really gorgeous beach, named for the manliness of the Aboriginal people that Europeans met here. I'm not joking. I still haven't figured out why the Spit Bridge is so named; I'm sure it's something equally ridiculous.

The Spit Bridge to Manly walk is a really famous trail, very well marked, and only about 9.5 k, which is like 6 miles. Now, I know that doesn't sound like much, especially for a stroll, but the first 3.5 K was entirely rock-cut stairs and slippery rocks, totally grueling. I was out of breath and exhausted. Once we got past that, the walk was really lovely and beautiful. It took us about 4 hours to finish the walk, because we stopped for little breaks and lunch. We are still in the middle of winter here, but the day was gorgeous, sunny and warm and a little windy. Clearly this guy wasn't going to let winter get him down.
















But hey, fair enough. Craig and I were burning up by the middle of the walk, I had taken off my hat, my gloves, my scarf, my jacket, and my hoodie.





















We still can't believe we're so close to so much water, so easily able to find all this pristine beauty, just a 40 minute ferry-ride away... I mean, look at all those boats!

















Craig's Patio Project is well underway now, and he's making nice progress! Just compare these to the earlier pictures of the patio. Since yesterday, when these were taken, he's even gotten rid of the giant pile of leaves! We tried to use the leaves for composting, but they were too entirely intermingled with disgusting trash. Also note: super fat white cat, basking in the sun as if he's a king. And his kingdom is...that bucket.
















Stay tuned for Celebrate Redfern!

1 comment: